Things You Should Do To Mitigate Damages After A Water Loss At Your Home

As a South Florida homeowner’s insurance claim attorney I have seen many cases involving water loss in the home. Most of these cases are the result of broken pipes releasing water into the household. Some case may involve household appliances like dishwashers and refrigerators. Some of these water losses are noticed right away and others go on for a while until noticed. Below are some steps you should take right away after a water or broken pipe loss in your home:

1. Turn of water supply. This will stop the influx of any more water into the premises. If you do not know how to turn off the water supply find someone who does quickly.
2. Turn off all electric systems. If water leaks near your electrics or electrical appliances, switch off the mains immediately. If the mains switch is wet, don’t touch it or you could risk electrocution! Call a qualified electrician immediately.
3. Dry affected areas. It is very important to dry affected areas to mitigate any further damage.
4. Fix the problem/leak. Call a plumber to fix the problem as soon as possible so that the loss is contained and no further damage occurs. Make sure to take pictures of the damage and also during any repair process.
5. Call you homeowner’s insurance company and report claim. Not reporting your claim as soon as you noticed it may jeopardize your claim. Keep you statements short and to the point and do not elaborate more than you have to. If you have any doubts please call our office so that we may assist you.
6. Call an attorney who can assist you with your claim. A Florida homeowner’s Insurance lawyer can facilitate the claims process.

Please note that whatever the cause of the loss it is extremely important to mitigate it. In fact, most homeowner’s policies require you to take all the steps you can to mitigate the loss. This means that you have a duty under policy to stop the loss from producing any more harm to the household. The steps mentioned above should assist that end. However, please note that these steps alone may not be sufficient and the best course of action is to call a plumber immediately.

Calling a South Florida water loss insurance claim attorney is great way of ensuring that your claim will go as smoothly as possible. Attorneys know how to deal with insurance companies and also have the ability to litigate if need be. Only attorney can offer a service that includes both the ability to handle the claim and if need litigate in a Florida State Court or a Federal Court.

Please call our firm if you need assistance making a claim against your homeowner’s insurance. Goldstraj & Associates is here to assist you 24/7. We can be reached at 305.764.9907 or 1.888.413.8353.