Does Your Car Insurance Cover You Out of Florida?

Many people wonder whether their car insurance will cover them out of Florida. This is a common question this time of year as many people plan to Travel. Being a Broward car accident or injury attorney I often hear these concerns.

Florida requires drivers to carry at least personal injury protection insurance (PIP) and property damage (PD) coverage. Personal Injury Protection (PIP) covers medical treatment and lost wages up to $10,000. Property damage coverage (PD) is meant to cover the damage to another person’s vehicle if you are at fault. Florida does not require bodily injury coverage (BI) which covers physical or bodily injury to another person. Bodily injury coverage usually starts at around $10,000 per person and $20,000 per incident and goes up from there. Many States require bodily injury (BI) coverage. If you are planning to drive long distances then it would be wise to see which states require Bodily Injury (BI) coverage and upgrade or buy the right policy.

I always advise my clients not buy insurance coverage based on prices. Insurance should be bought in order to provide the best protection for yourself, your family, assets, and others. If you buy insurance based on price the likely outcome is that you will end up buying the cheapest insurance available which will most likely only cover personal injury protection (PIP) and property damage (PD) coverage. If you are in an accident and only have this type of coverage you will find yourself in difficult situation whether the accident happened in Florida or out of State. If you are traveling out State you should consult other States laws and consult with your insurance agent to acquire the right coverage.

One of the issues I often encounter is problems with personal injury protection (PIP) when traveling out of State. I hear clients complain that their personal injury protection (PIP) does not cover them because the injury occurred out of State. If this is the case the most likely reason is that the policy holder was driving a car that was not on the policy. In other words, if you are driving out of state in your own vehicle, then personal injury protection (PIP) should be extended. If you are not driving your own vehicle then personal injury protection (PIP) will not be extended. This would mean that you would not have access to $10,000 toward your medical treatment for injuries sustained in accident. Therefore, it is very important to make sure that you have personal injury protection (PIP) when traveling out of Florida.

If you have any questions about this topic please do not hesitate to contact us. A Miami-Dade, Coral Gables, and Homestead accident attorney is available 24/7. We can be reached at 305.764.9907 or 1.888.413.8353.